Australian Soccer Federation president, Sir Arthur George, wrote in his official souvenir programme message to fans:


"The history of soccer in Australia can be traced back to 14 August 1880, when the first recorded match between the Kings School and a team known as the Wanderers, was played on Parramatta Common in the area known as Parramatta Park."


Although, the date has been disputed, Australia commenced its official Centenary Year to celebrate 100 years of soccer in 1980. To launch these celebrations a series of international matches and other events were organised throughout the year.


The Football Association accepted the ASF's invitation to play the first ever A-international between Australia and England with chairman Sir Harold Thompson stating they were, "Honoured and pleased to do so." Australian soccer was preparing itself for a great leap forward to a more intense and professional approach to administration, promotion and public relations.


The Sydney Cricket Ground played host on 31 May, where approximately 30,000 fans were in attendance. The match was refereed by world renowned Australian, Tony Boskovic.


England's starting side did not include some of the more senior players selected to play in the European Championship qualifiers. Nevertheless, the players to take the pitch were goalkeeper Joe Corrigan (Manchester City), Terry Butcher (Ipswich Town), captain Trevor Cherry (Leeds United), Frank Lampard (West Ham), Russell Osman (Ipswich), David Armstrong (Middlesbrough), Glenn Hoddle (Tottenham Hotspur), Bryan Robson (West Bromwich Albion), Brian Talbot (Arsenal), Paul Mariner (Ipswich) and Alan Sunderland (Arsenal).


Australia's coach, Rudi Gutendorf, was determined to win. Prior to kick-off he said, "I can promise the public that the Australian team is not treating this as a friendly match."


Goalkeeper Greg Woodhouse (APIA-Leichhardt), Steve Perry (Brisbane City), Jim Tansey (Heidelberg United), Jim Muir (Adelaide City), Ivo Prskalo (Marconi), Tony Henderson (Marconi), John Yzendoorn (Heidelberg United), Mark Jankovics (Marconi), Gary Cole (Heidelberg United), captain Jimmy Rooney (Heidelberg United) and Ken Boden (Sydney City) were selected to start.


Hoddle scored after just 10 minutes of play and Mariner doubled the lead 15 minutes later. England led 2-0 at the break. A penalty-kick on 88 minutes, converted by striker Gary Cole, pulled one back for the Socceroos but the match ended in defeat. By all accounts, both sides enjoyed the occasion.


This design marks the "Soccer Event of the Century" and includes Gutendorf's full Socceroos squad on the back.

Australia England 1980 T-shirt

SKU: FC0000388
  • Specifications

    • Unisex, regular fit 
    • Crew neck 
    • Mid-weight, 180 GSM
    • 100% combed cotton
    • Neck ribbing, side seamed, shoulder to shoulder tape, double needle hems, preshrunk to minimise shrinkage
  • Size Chart

    Size S M L XL 2XL 3XL
    W 47 52 56.5 61 64 68
    L 71 75 78.5 82 83.5 85


    Body width/length (cm)


    Please refer to Size Chart

    Measure a shirt you own 1cm below sleeve joint from side seam to side seam (no refund or replacement for incorrect size choice)


    Images sample only